Ward offers Froch chance of rematch

WBA super-middleweight champion Andre Ward says he would welcome the opportunity to fight Carl Froch again.

Froch, who stopped George Groves in controversial circumstances on Saturday, was beaten by the 29-year-old American on points in Atlantic City in 2011.

Froch said after seeing off Groves in Manchester that he would welcome the chance for a rematch with the 25-year-old from Hammersmith, but another bout with Ward could prove to be more beneficial to his career and would certainly lead to a large amount of boxing betting on the bet365 website.

“From a legacy standpoint, Froch needs me more than I need him,” said Ward, who has won all 27 of his professional fights and who would inspire many people to bet on boxing. “I can go off and fight other guys and never mention Carl Froch’s name again.

“I’m not concerned about fighting in front of his fans, but it is about not getting a fair shake. I’ve realistic concerns.

“Like I said, it’s my legacy at stake if he didn’t beat me, but if something happens like in the Groves fight then that is tough to live down. It’s a lot of moving pieces.”

Saturday’s success was 36-year-old Froch’s 32nd victory in 34 fights, but it came when his opponent was leading on all three of the judges’ cards.

Ward beat Edwin Rodriguez on points in a non-title super-middleweight fight earlier this month in California.

A shoulder muscle tear and surgery had kept Ward out of the ring for over a year, but he showed no ill-effects as he dominated Rodriguez from the beginning of the bout.

Ward’s previous fight had been a tenth-round stoppage of fellow American Chad Dawson in September 2012.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *